It seems as if the vast majority of those who enter into the doors of a church have the same idea. They are there to worship and hear the Word. Simple enough. That is not where the problem lies. There is another group of people who enjoy music and enjoy being able to use this medium to worship. This is great. However, it is the comments that come after the service that make my ears perk up. “The worship was too loud.” “I really enjoyed the worship today – it sounded great.” My favourite is this: “I wish there was more time devoted to worship.” All of these statements imply that worship is only music / singing.
Is this what we’ve come to - a society that has reduced the action of worship to the limited definition of music? Is singing the only possible way that we can worship? I will be graduating shortly from Emmanuel. Over the past three years I’ve taken quite a number of courses under the “Worship” category. In my memory, it seems that I was never once informed by the teachers that the only way we can worship is through music. I guess I’m just behind the times if this is where we find ourselves.
I do remember, on the other hand, many teachers discussing various methods of worship, including through the medium of music. I recall being taught we can worship while looking at art.[1] I recall learning that partaking in the sacraments is an act of worship. I can remember taking a walk through the woods and feeling this sense of awe because of the beauty around me and just wanting to give thanks to God for the wonder of it all. I also remember the times where I’ve been moved to just stand in silence while the music played around me because God was present. Worship is more than expressing your faith through music, it comes through actions as well. Think of Abraham when he was about to sacrifice Isaac. He told his servant that he was going up to the mountain to worship, which in this case was to kill and burn his son in obedience to God.
If anything, I’ll be leaving Emmanuel with an understanding that worship is more than just words that are sung in a group of people. Jesus said that we are supposed to worship in “spirit and in truth” because that is the type of worshipper that the Father is looking for. If we disregard the beauty around us, stop taking communion with the gathered community, and neglect the reading of the Word because we believe that worship only happens through music, I believe that we need to rethink our priorities.
I’m advocating for a clearer understanding of the definition of worship. Don’t stop the music because of this. Just look beyond and see what God sees. When we worship in spirit and in truth, perhaps our lives will be transformed… Open your eyes. There’s more than one way to worship God, and let’s praise Him for that.
---
[1] For a greater understanding, read The Return of Prodigal Son by Henry Nouwen (New York: Doubleday, 1992) or walk into a liturgical church some Sunday morning.
* Originally published April 5, 2006 at http://voiceofebc.blogspot.com
0 Responses to “Don't Stop the Music”
Leave a Reply