I was walking through the mall a few weeks ago observing the yearly ritual we like to call Christmas shopping. Millions upon millions of people are partaking in this ritual as we speak. Everyone has the perfect gift in mind for the perfect person in their life. The mood is jolly and the spirit of giving is within us. But I ask the question, why are there so many people in the returns line on Boxing day and in the weeks following if these gifts that people are buying are so perfect? It makes me wonder if we are buying something that the person will love or something that will make the person love us.
A few weeks ago, on November 25th, was International Buy Nothing Day. In Chapel, Lindsay gave us an idea of what the day is all about. The previous day was the American Thanksgiving, meaning that millions of Americans had the next day off and thousands of stores had sales that would lure in the customers. That makes the day after the American Thanksgiving the most consumerist friendly day of the year.
Consumerism leads into all facets of our lives. We always want more than we have. We absolutely need a new computer. Our clothing is not in style anymore. Our DVD rack is lacking something. We just aren’t content with what we have.
Have we lost our ability to be content despite the consumerist trends that surround us? If we can go through one day of the year without purchasing anything, why can we not survive a Christmas where we don’t expect to get everything we want? Lindsay challenged us to consider a “Buy Nothing Christmas” where the wants in our lives are replaced by the needs. I’ve been coming to this realization over the past few years that the majority of the items I want for Christmas are not items that I would use on a frequent basis. I need food. I need clothing. I need shelter. I do not need a laptop. I do not need an mp3 player. I do not need a Lego pirate ship.
Consider this option for this year. When creating your list, think of the things that you need rather than the things that you want. Take this into account when shopping for others as well. Help stop the consumerism. As the Beatles song “Can’t Buy Me Love” goes,
“Say you don't need no diamond ring
And I'll be satisfied
Tell me that you want those kind of things
that money just can't buy
For I don't care too much for money
For money can't buy me love”
For more information on Buy Nothing Christmas, please visit buynothingchristmas.org
As an alternative to giving something that may go to waste, consider giving someone a cow [or various alternatives]
* Originally Published December 5, 2005 at http://voiceofebc.blogspot.com
0 Responses to “Consumerism”
Leave a Reply